Machine Control & Data Acquisition
Multi-axis digital servo controller – 10kHz control and logging – Powerful and versatile software suite
The Si-Plan Electronics Research 1085 series digital servo controller and data acquisition system is a development of our widely-used 879 controller. It offers a flexible, stand-alone system, for use with the company’s range of test machines and as a retro-fit controller to existing machine frames from other manufacturers. Servo control is implemented on the embedded processor. The control algorithm is user accessible via the PC interface. The digital servo controller can be fitted to both new and existing testing, production or assembly machines. Si-Plan has first-hand experience of retro fitting our controllers to machines by ESH®, Mand®, Instron®, Denison Mayes (DMG)®, Zwick Roell®, MTS®, Dartec®, Amsler®, Rumul®, Howden® and others.
- 10kHz update interval for control
- Data logging up to 10kHz
- Up to 16 axies of servo-control
- Control using any input as feedback or generate a demand output for secondary controller
- PID (Proportional, Integral, Differential) and Velocity with high or low pass filters.
- Manual and Automatic PID tuning facility.
- Adaptive control: adjusts demand waveform to match demand peaks and mean
- Internal waveform generator for Sine, Triangle, Square, Parabolic or user waveforms. Alternatively, use an input as an external demand.
- Multiple independent data loggers with multiple channels up to 10kHz from any input or any internal parameter.
- Machine and test control by block or script programs
- C based compiled script language with full control over machine and test behaviour enables Si-Plan to produce bespoke application software when required,
- Optional block programming module provides customers with a simpler control over the system to create complex test sequences.
Processor card with built-in digital I/O
- On board processor.
- Fast Ethernet connection 10/100BaseT TCP/IP
- 24 digital inputs, 5 to 30VDC
- 24 digital outputs 5 to 30VDC at 0.5A (2A max on connector pins) High & Low side.
- Optional analogue monitor points ±10VDC
- Power derived from single 9 to 24Vdc supply.
Analogue I/O card
- Up to 2 cards supported.
- FPGA for inter-card comms and additional processing
- 16 x16 bit analogue input at 10kHz, ±10V.
- 19 bit analogue input option.
- 24 bit analogue input option.
- 4 x16 bit analogue outputs at 10kHz, ±10V.
- 4 channels of quadrature encoder inputs at 1MHz
- Additional 16 channels (8 in and 8 out) 3V logic I/O direct to FPGA
- Endat encoder option
Communications card (optional)
- RS232 serial
- RS422 / RS485 supports MODBUS for example
- I2C to support extra digital I/Os, sensors or displays for a simple HMI
- CAN bus
- External connection by RJ45 socket with optional power.
Every application of the Si-Plan digital servo controller and data acquisition system includes the standard tool kit software.
This provides the tools to use the controller and:
- Supports multi-axis and multi-machine control:
- 1 to 4 axis as applicable
- 1 to 4 independent, but identical machines
- Wave form generation, sine, square, triangle, parabola, user input files, block programming.
- Up to 4 independent data loggers with:
- Real time XT, XY and FFT plots
- Set up multiple channels and capture rate
- Set logging to continuous, cycle interval or 2n
- Output data in CSV format for external analysis in spreadsheets
- Trip setup which gives multiple trip limits on inputs allowing choice of what to do and when to check
- PID setting for each controlled parameter,
- Tare function,
- Password protected calibration screen with linearisation, scaling and zero,
For many applications the Si-Plan tool kit software meets the requirements straight “out of the box”. However other optional packages are available to enhance the software suite.
The Si-Plan block program software enables a sequence of events to be configured (programmed) in a user friendly environment. This enables complex test sequences with block specific logging, PID and trips to be constructed. Most requirements can be met by the existing library of commands however were beneficial, a bespoke code module can be supplied to provide additional functionality. The block program may then be run via the tool kit software or as part of the Si-Plan test control software.
The test control software running a block program(s) is used to set up a customer specific user interface which is more tailored to a given machine and user requirement. Features can include configured DPM’s, logger, a browse menu of block programs, start, stop, pause continue type buttons, dialogue boxes, data management etc. In the background test control also manages machine start up and shut down sequences. The result of this configuration is an automated machine requiring much less user input/setup with consistent operation data acquisition.
A tensile test software package is available to run on the Si-Plan digital controller platform which controls the machine for tensile test work, makes the industry standard calculations and provides reports to meet the requirements of ISO and ASTM standards.
In respect of other applications the approach taken by Si-Plan is to supply a system which is reliable and good at providing machine (and process) control and also collecting data in a universal file format typically CSV (others available by request). The test control software running block programs is perfect for this situation. The customer, which best knows their application, can then use commercially available spreadsheets to process the data and generate their reports. This strategy also enables the end user to easily iterate to meet the requirements of new revisions of testing standards and has been well received by high profile clients. Where required Si-Plan can assist in configuring a spreadsheet template.
A creep machine software package is available to run on the Si-Plan digital controller platform which enables up to 4 servo electric creep machines to be run from one controller, with associated hardware installed. The system supports:
- 4x servo motor demand via serial communication,
- 4x load measurement to 16 bits,
- 4x strain measurement to 24 bits,
- 4x high temperature furnace control 2-zone,
- 8x thermocouple temperature measurement.
The versatile software enables loading, unloading and dwell cycles with programmable rates. Logging interval can be programmed at different stages of the test, typically faster for ramping of load and slower on dwell to enable accurate test monitoring whilst keeping file sizes under control. Delta logging is also a feature where slow logging rates are increased automatically if the readings have changed by a given amount, thus giving accurate recording at point of failure.
Tests can run from a few hours to years. Data is recorded via a buffer to the hard disk. Uninterruptable power supplies can be used to ensure test continuity during power outages.
Specifications may be updated. Check when ordering.